Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Winter Pondering #2

Second week of winter break and probably my last post of 2008. 


Photobucket
I'm back to reading Nine Stories.  I'd gotten into reading more modern literature - a lot of it tends to be pretty minimalist - so Salinger's voice and details are refreshing right now.  I also used my temporary obsession to adapt A Perfect Day for Bananafish into a script, and if I lived near a beach if would be a very do-able short film in the future. Nebraska does have it's drawbacks.

I also said I'd write about some Holiday movies - I've only seen two so far but I'll write about them before I decide not to.


Photobucket
My favorite movie I've seen this Fall/Winter is Milk.  I was expecting it to be good, but it really blew me away.  The Equal Rights issue is one I've been passionate about for years and this movie really inspired it.  It sucks you in and makes you feel like a part of the movement.  It's a shame it got snubbed at the Golden Globes, hopefully The Academy gives it what it deserves. 


Photobucket
The only true holiday movie I've seen so far is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  I should start off by saying I really enjoyed this movie and the things that bugged me are minimal.  However, there wasn't anything about it that surprised me.  Upon hearing the conflict of the movie, it's possible for anything to take a guess about how the characters life would turn out.  The scale of this movie and its perfection in production is amazing, the story is very entertaining, but I guess I was hoping for something I hadn't seen before. 

I still need to see Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, and Frost/Nixon.

1 comment:

homemayde said...

at the inspiration of your post i re-read 3/9 stories. it's odd, i haven't ever given any of the salinger stuff i have read a second read. i am interested in whether you have ever let them sit untouched for a long time and then read them again... i used to LOVE them and i was surprised to find that i really don't connect with them anymore, excepting 'just before the war with the eskimos'.

i wonder if i am just too old?